Saturday 26 July 2014

the wine of Greek Gods

Yesterday evening, while driving towards Altamura, I passed by Palazzo S. Gervasio (Basilicata), a bunch of miles from Apulia.















In this land the paesants produce a wonderful wine named Aglianico del Vulture.





It is a red wine based on the Aglianico grape, produced in the Vulture area.







The legend wants that the Greeks, who migrated to the South of Italy, introduced this grape between the 7th and 6th century BC.

Therefore, me, Lucia and her Mum decide to go to Palazzo S. Gervasio and buy this legendary wine.

We come accross an old man, with red cheeks: "excuse me Sir, we would like to buy some local wine...".






And the old man, with a friendly smile on his face replies: "well, you better go to the main plaza, and ask for it to one of the men sat down there".

Therefore, we head to the main plaza. Once there, I begin to ask around.

At last, we find our man. His name is Michele.


He looks very calm and happy to sell his wine.

So, he leads us to his wine cellar.

It looks a Museum of the peasant civilization.

















He produces around 500 litres of Aglianico.

He complaints that he works really hard to look after his small vineyard.







I decide to buy 25 litres of his wine. I trust him so much that I even do not ask Michele the price. I am confident that I am going to drink one of the best wine ever.

Then, I taste his wine...

What can I say? I just feel like Zeus on the top of Olympus.

Michele tells us that his father died a couple of years ago. Michele assures us that he uses the same techniques his father used to.


Finally, the wine container is filled. For 25 litres of wine is asks me just 50 euros. In other words, just 2 euros per liter. Unbeliveble!

I carry on the wine container and put it into my small car.

I say good bye to Michele and his friends. I feel like I have made new friends.

Salute!

If you wish to view more pics, please click here

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Toni for the 2 litres you gave to me! Made all the tastier to know where and how it was produced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my bottles are empty too.

      I have to plan soon a visit to "our" friend :-)

      Delete