Thursday 9 October 2014

Matera, the European capital of culture 2019

Over the last days, the EU commissioners visited firstly Lecce in Apulia. Then, Matera in Basilicata.











Therefore, I asked myself: “Which city do you reckon is more entitled to be the European capital of culture 2019?”.

I have been thinking about it for a while. 






Then, firmly I replied to myself: “Matera, of course”.








I saw Matera for the first time four years ago.

As you probably are aware, Lucia, my partner, is from Altamura.

Altamura, located in Apulia, is just a bunch of miles from Matera.

So, Lucia has always described Matera as such a magic and inspiring town.

Therefore, I dated her in Matera, where we had a tasty pizza Napoletana

Soon after, we exchanged a tiramisù kiss ;-)

Nowadays, Matera is competing with Lecce and with other Italian cities such as Cagliari, Perugia-Assisi, Ravenna and Siena.

The reason for which I support the Matera candidature?

Well, in my opinion Matera has something unique I would say: i Sassi.


















Basically, i Sassi are among the oldest housing units of the world.

The zone was already inhabited during the Paleolithic era.




Every time I come to Matera, I can’t refrain from contemplating i Sassi

It is like to visualize the history of Humanity. 

Matera is such an ancestral site.




Carlo Levi has written about the terrible hygienic conditions in which people of Sassi went through during the Fascist age. 

You find it in the Levi's cult book: Cristo si è fermato ad Eboli.



Book like this, contributed to create the cultural humus for people such as Rocco Scotellaro, poet of the peasant civilization.

I Sassi were portrayed during the 50ies as a “national shame”.

Soon after, more than 15.000 thousands people were relocated from i Sassi to new housing units.

For more than 30 years i Sassi had been completely neglected.

Then, in 1986 a national law funded the recovery of Sassi.  

I Sassi have been declared in 1993 world heritage by UNESCO.

Talking about cinema, many movies have been shot in Matera.

From my point of view, the most important one is the Pasolini’s The Gospel according to St. Matthew





This movie is considered by International cinema reviewers as the best one concerning the Jesus’s life.







Matera, but I would say the entire Basilicata, reminds Jerusalem, the holy land.

Mel Gibson has shot The Passion here. 

Additionally, Bruce Beresford has shot in 1980 King David, starring a young Richard Gere.

Over the last weeks, a Chinese crew of 60 people has just completed to shoot Marry me, which will be seen in China in February 2015. 

3.000 Chinese cinemas will show it.









Matera has an exciting cultural life.











Of course, the town is not just i Sassi.

Matera is pretty famous for its rupestrian churches, with stunning graffiti painted inside.

My opinion is that Matera has a genuine vocation to be the European capital of culture 2019.

The humanity sink roots in the Sassi.

Click here, should you wish to see more pics

No comments:

Post a Comment